Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to make Hummingbird Nectar



Hummingbirds are one of my favorite animals. I love the sound they make when the zoom off into the trees and they have such beautiful coloring. 

It seems that as quickly as I can fill up my feeders, they're empty again.  In summer, making batches of hummingbird nectar turns into a part-time job for me.  It's one I gladly accept.




Making the nectar is quite easy.

1 part sugar -- 4 parts water
1/4 cup of sugar -- 1 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar -- 2 cups of water
3/4 cups of sugar -- 3 cups of water
1 cup of sugar -- 4 cups of water

Make sure you use plain, table sugar. Honey and other sweeteners can be dangerous to hummingbirds.

Combine the sugar and water in a pot and heat on the stove until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool and fill your feeders. 

No food coloring is necessary.  I try to avoid it in what I consume and wouldn't dare give it to my little bird friends.  The red of the feeder is enough to attract them. 



Sit back and enjoy the show!  

No comments:

Post a Comment