Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cabin inspiration


While I usually prefer decor that leans more toward modern or transitional, our current house has elements of a cabin. The setting (in the mountains) and the cedar siding, as well as the wood ceilings in the house all scream cabin!  

I've been torn about how to decorate. Do I go full-on cabin or do I mix modern elements in with the cabin detailing? Or, do I gut it and go all modern despite the exterior and surrounding landscape? Okay, so a major gut job is not in the budget and truth-be-told, the cabin style is growing on me. Take a look for yourself at some of the amazing cabins that are out there. 

I love the railing on this one:


It's a lot of wood, but the high ceilings and ample lighting keep this living room looking spacious.


Love the deck!


Is this a cabin powder room or what?! (Are they still called powder rooms in cabins?)


Wow! I would love to have breakfast here!


There is nothing like getting cozy next to a cabin fireplace.


This cabin kitchen mixes in painted cream cabinets to break up the stained wood. 



Cozy cabin bedroom.


A modern take on the cabin.


I think it may be possible to sway my decorating style ever so slightly to the rustic side. I can't commit to a completely rustic cabin with floor to ceiling wood, but I do plan on keeping some of the existing elements in my house and possibly even incorporating some new cabin charm into the decor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment