Sunday, December 26, 2010

No-Sew Window Valance

It's Sunday night, so I thought I'd do a quick project before the start of another hectic week.  This no-sew window valance took less than 30 minutes from start to finish.  The valance hardware has been sitting naked above the window since we moved in about four years ago (where does the time go?).  The previous owners kindly left their hideous window treatments for us, which I promptly removed and disposed of the day we moved in.  This window is in the guest bedroom/exercise room/extra storage room that I rarely enter, but I thought it deserved some love!


I measured the length of the valance rod (including the sides) and added a couple extra inches for hemming the ends.  Then, using a pillowcase draped over the rod, I got an idea of how long I wanted the valance to be, which in this case was about 13 inches.  The rod itself is 3 inches high, so I added 4 inches to the measurement since I would be folding fabric over to create a pocket for the rod, plus another inch because it is better to err on the side of too much fabric rather than not enough!   


I used iron-on hem tape to hem the sides for a finished look and to create the pocket.  The bottom was finished and didn't need to be hemmed - hallelujah!  I also ironed the corners to help define the shape.  There you have it - a simple, no-sew window treatment.




       Before 
                              
        After

No comments:

Post a Comment