In keeping with all my other projects, I have another re-do of something from when my parents lived in this house. My dad built a super heavy oak dining room table and chairs that have looked the same since I was a kid. The lines are great and the chairs are comfortable, but they needed some updating.
I'm not crazy about the color of the wood and while the chevron stripes on the fabric are currently in style (everything comes back into style!), the fabric is worn and tired looking.
There's fabric on the back, too! I've never reupholstered anything, so I was a bit unsure about what to do, but it turned out to be quite simple. The seat and back easily popped out. The fabric was stapled on. Simple remove staples and old fabric. I added some new foam to the bottom since the foam on those pieces was in need of replacement. Staple all around the edges while pulling the fabric taut.
The wood was only finished with Danish oil, so it was a simple sanding with 100 grit and then 220 grit sandpaper and two coats of Minwax Jacobean stain in a satin finish. I used a foam brush to apply the Jacobean stain. Not only was this my first upholstery project, it was also the first time I did a project with stain. Easier than I thought! Just be sure to do two (or maybe three if you need it) even coats of stain.
I love the way the chairs turned out! The fabric is Waverly : Pkaufmann Cross Section in Charcoal. I bought it when Joann had a 50% off sale.
|Waverly Pkaufmann Cross Section Charcoal Fabric|
Next up is the dining room table that these chairs belong to. I'm no longer afraid of stain!